Generic Florinef 100 mcg
Florinef is an oral man-made corticosteroid indicated to treat low glucocorticoid levels associated with adrenal gland disorders. Tablets with 100 mcg of Fludrocortisone Acetate as active ingredient are administered once daily for Addison's disease, salt-losing adrenogenital syndrome and adrenocortical insufficiency. Patients are assigned to undergo blood sodium, potassium and rennin plasma tests to see if drug dosage adjustment is needed.
What is Florinef?
Florinef is known to work in the treatment of cerebral salt wasting. It works in replacing the missing hormone aldosterone in several forms of adrenal insufficiency for example the classic salt wasting or Addison’s disease. Florinef works amazingly to work on the increasing Na+ levels and therefore has an effect on the blood volume as well. Many medical practitioners suggest to use Florinef for treatment of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and Orthostatic Intolerance. Florinef is also used in treatment of low blood pressure.
Florinef, these days is also used in diagnosing Conns Syndrome. If a patient is loaded with Florinef, the serum aldosterone level would get suppressed in case of a normal patient. However, for a patient suffering from Conns Syndrome, the level would not experience much of an alteration, thereby helping the doctors with diagnosis.
What are the Indications of using Florinef?
This medicine is generally indicated as a partial replacement therapy for both primary and secondary adrenocortical insufficiency experienced while suffering from Addison’s disease. Many medical practitioners prescribe usage of Florinef for treatment purpose of the salt-losing adrenogenital syndrome as well.
What is the Recommended Dosage of Florinef?
Just like any other medicine, the dosage of Florinef varies from one patient to another. It is important to monitor the patient at a regular basis to understand if any dosage adjustment is required or not. For Addison’s disease, the recommended dosage is 0.1 mg of Florinef at a daily basis. However, many doctors suggest having 0.1 mg thrice a week or 0.2 mg on daily basis as well. In case of Salt-losing Adrenogenital Syndrome, the daily dosage of Florinef should be between 0.1 mg and 0.2 mg.
What are the Contraindications for Florinef?
Florinef is contraindicated in patients in below mentioned scenarios:
- If you are suffering from systemic fungal infections.
- If you are hypersensitive to any active ingredient of Florinef or have a history of the same.
- If you are pregnant.
What are the Side Effects of using Florinef?
- You may experience allergic reactions such as: difficulty in breathing, hives, swelling of throat, lips or face.
- Some of the less serious side effects include: mood changes, insomnia, thinning skin, discoloration or skin, acne, increased swelling, nausea, stomach pain, dizziness, headache, spinning sensation, changes in location of body fat etc.
- Some serious side effects (These require immediate medical attention) are: vision problems, high blood pressure, feeling short of breath, convulsions, bloody stools, increased urination, rapid weight gain, low potassium, pancreatitis etc.